Silas is available forCreating music and/or sound design for a podcast series. I can also mix, edit, and fix "bad" audio/voiceover/interviews.
Silas Hite is an Emmy-winning composer with music in his DNA. He began his career co-scoring blockbuster and independent films such as Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs with his uncle, noted composer Mark Mothersbaugh (DEVO). His music plays in television shows around the world, from kids shows like Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get A Clue! and Disney’s Dance-A-Lot Robot, to adult shows such as Blue Mountain State, Eureka, and Chef's Table. He has scored hundreds of commercials for clients such as Apple, McDonalds, and Chevy, earning him an Emmy, Adweek's Campaign of the Decade, and most recently a Titanium Grand Prix from Cannes. He’s contributed memorable music to some of the most beloved video games of the past twenty years such as The Sims 2, Skate 3 and The Simpsons. His music has played in such venerable institutions as the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, the New York Museum of Modern Art, The Whitney Museum, and The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
I have provided music and sound design for many podcasts over the years, from long-running, established podcasts such as Arts and Letters (NPR) to brand-new podcasts looking to establish their identity through music and sound design. In 2014, I was hired by St. Catherine University to create and lead a workshop for their student podcasters about effectively using audio in their podcasts. In 2016, I was commissioned to write and record 40 original string quartets for their students to use as a music library in their podcasts. The project was so well-received, they hired me in 2020 to do it again.
• Comfortable taking and applying feedback, tight deadlines, and self-managing
• Very experienced recording/mixing/editing/producing audio
• Possess a large, versatile and curated sound effects and music library
• Skilled musician with many instruments
• Professional studio and equipment
• Almost 20 years experience using audio to support storytelling
Projects I Am Seeking:
I would like to find projects that allow me to create music and/or sound design to help tell their story. I am totally open to editing/implementing music libraries as well, if that part of the job. I am easy to work with and deliver professional results, so I also prefer to work with people that fit that description as well. After many years of film/tv scoring, I am increasingly drawn to podcasts as a source of creativity and innovative storytelling. I would like to spend more of my time creating and supporting that type of content.
- Sound Design
- Audio Engineering
- I have my own professional recording studio with a control room and a separate tracking room, capable of handling a band, a string quartet, or a solo narrator. I have top of the line microphones, mic pres, compressors, speakers, and lots of instruments.
- I have experience in a variety of DAWs: Logic, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Reaper, Ableton Live, Adobe Audition.
- Composer/Sound Designer at Freelance (Currently still freelance)
- In-House Composer at Mutato Muzika (2010)
- Radio Promotions Director at KAMP Radio (2003)