Hilary is available for... contributing to a healthy and curious team that operates with a sense of purpose. If you need research, fieldwork, interviewing, data reporting, or writing/editing/voicing scripts, I can help. Investigative and narrative projects welcomed. I'm based in New England and when travel is not pandemically restricted, I love to do it!
Hilary Niles is an independent journalist (since 2014) with credits on the BBC and NPR, and roots in community radio. In addition to interviewing and field recording for audio projects, she specializes in data reporting and has extensive experience writing for print and online publications, as well as project management. She's an alum of the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies and the Missouri School of Journalism, chairs the Society of Professional Journalists' Freelance Community and serves on SPJ's FOI Committee.
- Field Producing
- Field Recording
- Grant Writing
- Logistics and Coordination
- Show Development
- Story Editing
- Tape Syncs
- Tascam DR-100 recorder
- RØDE NTG2 shotgun mic
- Nikon D300 camera
- Business and Data Reporter at VTDigger.org (December 2014)
- Researcher at Investigative Reporting Workshop (July 2013)
- Graduate Research Assistant at IRE (Investigative Reporters and Editors) (May 2013)
- Reporter and Anchor at KBIA 91.3 FM (NPR Affiliate) (May 2013)