Yumi is available forI am available to help script, project manage, edit, and produce.
Born in Malaysia, raised in Japan, and educated in the U.S., my formative years as a third-culture kid has given me an insider's-outsider's point of view that I bring to my reporting and storytelling. I'm a multi platform storyteller with a background in audio, video, and print journalism, and most recently managed and produced podcasts at the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ award-winning iDeas Lab. I also hosted a four-part docuseries on Japan’s current events for Singapore’s national broadcaster, CNA. Before that, I worked as a producer for On Point at Boston’s NPR affiliate and covered the 2016 election for Japan’s largest newspaper, The Yomiuri Shimbun. I'm interested in stories that occur at the intersection of different issues, and a doting cat mom to a Scottish shorthair named Winston.
I'm looking to collaborate on reported narrative-driven stories on just about any topic. I have experience reporting on policy, science, and cultural stories. Looking forward to connecting!
- Field Recording
- Scrubbing and Audio Editing
- Social Media
- Sound Design
- Story Editing
- Tape Syncs
- Blue Yeti mic
- Plosive filter
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Senior Producer & Editorial Lead at Center for Strategic and International Studies(September 2020)
- Reporter & Host of Deciphering Japan at Channel News Asia(April 2020)
- Contract Producer, On Point at WBUR (Boston's NPR news station)(September 2017)
- Washington Staff Reporter at The Yomiuri Shimbun(June 2017)
- Associate Producer at Boston Science Communications(June 2013)