- Sherman Oaks, CA
Ness is available forI am available to edit, engineer, mix, compose, or voice over for podcasts, live broadcasts, or radio features.
Ness Smith-Savedoff is a musician, sound designer, and audio editor based in Los Angeles. While attending Oberlin College and the Maine College of Art he pursued experimental sound art and electronic music resulting in a broad understanding of audio technology. As an audio editor, Ness has produced, recorded, edited, and mixed podcasts about artists, public policy, comedy, and medicine. He has scored and sound-designed children's stories and daily news shows. As an audio engineer, Ness has set up PAs, mixed front-of-house and monitors, and worked with bands, theater groups, opera ensembles, and movie nights. He is also a professional drummer in the American contra dance scene and a former radio DJ.
Created for the Oberlin Student Blogs program this is an audio postcard of Bibbins and the courtyard beside Finney Chapel. I recorded audio, interviewed students, edited and mixed.
Completed for Vox Media, I ran remote recording over Zoom, cleaned audio with Izotope RX, edited the episode in Pro Tools, and published via Megaphone. This episode of The Weeds features the three original hosts in a discussion about how government subsidies lead to higher health care costs.
An episode featuring the drummer of Royal Blood in discussion with Celine Teo-Blockey. I edited the episode for clarity and mixed the audio for consistency. I used Reaper for all cuts and some balancing, and I used RX to match the space between audio recorded over a Zoom call, and audio recorded to an iPhone.
A short children's story, created and produced by Wondery. As the sound designer and mixer, I scored, designed, and mastered the episode. Any element in the story beyond the narrator's voice was added by yours truly. Sounds and music were sourced from online libraries. The entire episode was edited and mixed in Reaper using Izotope, Waves, and Reaper plugins.
- Tape Syncs
- Sound Design
- Scrubbing and Audio Editing
- Field Recording
- Audio Engineering
- Behringer XR18
- Shure SM57
- Shure SM58
- Shure PGDMK6
- FIFINE K669
- HyperX SoloCast
- Roland TD-25
- Roland SPD-30
- Roland TD-50
- Izotope RX/Ozone
- Sound Designer & Production Mixer at Little Stories Everywhere, Wondery (2022)
- Audio Editor & Mixer at Sexy Unique Podcast (2022 - Present)
- Production Mixer at Vox Creative (VMPN) (2022 - 2023)
- Audio Editor at People of Programmatic Podcast, Xaxis (2021 - 2022)
- Recording Engineer at CurtCo Media (2021)
- Supervising Audio Editor at Back Table (2021 - present)
- Music Technology Consultant at Richman Music School (2021 - 2022)
- Producer & Engineer at The Weeds, Vox Media (2021)
- Live Sound Engineer at Portland Intown Contra Dance (2016 - 2020)
- Lead Sound Engineer at Congress Square Park (2018 - 2019)
- Podcast Editor at Center For Global Development (2012)
- DC Bureau Intern at Free Speech Radio News (2012)
- News Editor, DJ at WOBC-FM (2011 - 2012)
- Podcast Producer at Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center (2011)
- DJ, News Anchor, Board Member, Educator at WMPG-FM (2006 - 2020)