- Washington, DC
Ellen Rolfes is an audio and video producer, based in Washington, DC.
A general assignment reporter for most of her career, she has produced everything from live podcast events to narrative feature stories to YouTube explainers and short documentaries. She also has helped pilot and develop new series and podcasts for independent productions and at large shops like WNYC.
As a producer, she is known for her commitment to the inclusion of diverse voices in her stories, crafting powerful and coherent frameworks from large amounts of audio, and working collaboratively across teams to get projects done on time -- with humor, emotional intelligence and constructive criticism.
She has a bachelor of arts from University of Notre Dame, where she studied theater and international peace studies.
For the podcast, I identified selects, drafted interview questions, oversaw narration recordings as well as in the field interviews and nat sound.
- Field Producing
- Field Recording
- Scrubbing and Audio Editing
- Show Development
- Story Editing
- Tape Syncs
- Zoom H4n recorder
- Zoom H1 recorder
- Pistol grip and shock mount
- AudioTechnica AT897 shotgun mic
- RodeLink LAV microphone
- Rode VideoMic Pro+
- Sony A7III mirrorless camera
- Sony 24-105m f4.0 zoom lens
- Samyang 35mm f2.8 prime lens
- Adobe Audition
- Documentaries Producer at Newsy (2019-present)
- Podcast Producer at Smithsonian Institution (2019)
- Story Editor at Vox Media (2017-2019)
- Live Events & Digital Producer at WNYC (2015-2017)