Editor’s note: Joining AIR as an engagement intern has allowed me to meet many members personally and digitally, yet I crave to meet more! As a way to further explore AIR’s community, I decided to continue “Meet this Member!,” an interview series that spotlights AIRsters doing outstanding work in the audio and media industry. So without further ado, here’s Paige Polk!
1) Where are you based and what do you do?
I’m a freelance Digital Director based in Durham, North Carolina. I’ve built projects around the globe – including at Google, the NYC Mayor’s Office, and Emmy & World Press Photo Award winning work at The Skin Deep.
2) A piece of yours (in any medium!) that you would like to share? (And why?)
I built an intergenerational web project about growing up called Not Yet Series. Not Yet used a storytelling podcast and public events to explore the relationships that get us where we want to be. I loved every step of making this because it was a love story to the women, queer people, and people of color who supported my life as a creator in New York City.
3) What draws you to storytelling?
The actual act of communicating. Having a clear idea of who you are and who you want to reach can take you so far. It’s an honor to support people expressing how they feel about themselves and the world around them.
4) What’s playing on your radio/audio streaming service right now?
I currently have Sech on repeat. He’s an Afro-Panamanian reggaetonero. But mostly I’ve been embracing hot girl summer with Megan Thee Stallion.
5) What’s the most underrated tool (technical or not!) you use in your creative practice?
The Notes app on my phone.
6) What is something you want to see more of in the industry?
I want more lateral connections between creators, especially those of us in the freelance world. It’s so easy to prioritize racing to the top or getting your next job, but that focus can be isolating and exhausting. We should be making friends doing audio, this is a fun job!
7) Who’s your radio/audio idol and why?
Sam Riddell – she’s a sound producer/artist from Queens and the lead host of the Inner Hoe Uprising podcast. She’s blending comedy improv, incredible production, and community resources like sex health & social justice into her work.
8) What’s the best method for people to connect with you (including social media)?
Reach out to me at www.paigepolk.com for projects, and I’m on all the socials at @paigepolk