Producer / Editor – Mumble Media
Who are we?
Mumble Media is a worker-owned audio production cooperative specializing in podcasts. Our members collaborate on exciting audio projects while also running the business itself and equally sharing ownership of the company. We’re dedicated to practicing democracy in the workplace and sharing information freely and transparently. We want you to take an active role in shaping Mumble Media and its future.
What do we work on?
For the majority of our projects, we partner with creators and companies who have a script or concept, have secured funding, and need a production partner to execute their vision. This role will be in production services.
How do we work?
As a team and co-owners of a business, many of us wear multiple hats. We each bring our own multifaceted skill sets and specialties, like audio Swiss army knives. Our production and post processes are collaborative so we can support and learn from each other as we work. We all work remotely and communicate regularly, thoughtfully, and proactively.
Who are we looking for?
An experienced producer and editor (3+ years) to work on primarily non-fiction content. Someone who pairs solid editorial judgment with technical skills to turn ideas into finished audio.
The day-to-day will look like:
- Researching topics and creating outlines for conversations/interviews
- Doing content edits in Descript
- Editing dialogue/VO and selecting/editing underscore music
- Helping track and manage production timelines for episodes
- Participating in collective decision-making and business management for the cooperative
To be successful at these, you’ll want:
- A knack for writing for the ear, maintaining a show’s tone, and editing for conversational flow
- Solid editorial judgment and sense of timing
- Strong foundation in audio production and post principles
- Mid-level or higher proficiency in Pro Tools and/or Reaper
- Organization and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly and proactively with coworkers and clients
- Equal comfort working independently or collaborating
- Enthusiasm for worker-ownership and sustainable business operations
- Experience in journalism and/or science
- Aptitude for sound design and mixing audio
- Previous experience running a business (freelance or otherwise)
We also offer support, training, and an environment that encourages growth and personalized development. So let us know what skills you’ll be bringing, and we also want to hear how we can help you grow.
Lastly, enthusiasm for building a new business is essential. We’re not new to audio production, but we are a company that’s still honing our processes, workflows, and work culture, and we’ll need your help getting all of that right.
Compensation and benefits?
- We pay all employees (prospective and current) $46/hr
- We’re anticipating about 20 hours of work per week
- QSEHRA reimbursement for health care premiums and expenses
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Flexible hours as workload and deadlines require
- PTO, sick, and holiday time
- This is remote work, as we don’t have a physical office
We’re currently offering part-time employment, with the potential to eventually scale up to full time if your skills and the work we have available are a good mutual fit.
Mumble Media is committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes, supports, and empowers people from a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and abilities. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion extends beyond hiring and into our policies and day-to-day operations. We’re a small group of creative people looking to grow our business thoughtfully so we can provide comfortable and flexible careers for our members.
This position is open to U.S. applicants only. Apply here. We’ll be accepting applications until midnight PT, February 21, 2024.