Please mark your calendars with these important dates:
- Monday, Oct. 30: Board nominations open
- Friday, Nov. 17: Annual all-members meeting from 2pm-3:30pm ET
- If you missed the meeting, you may access it here.
- Monday, Nov. 20: Deadline for nominations
- Monday, Nov. 27: Election period opens
- Friday, Dec. 8: Election period closes
- Thursday, Dec. 14: Election results announced
The process for filling two seats on AIR’s Board of Directors begins today, Monday, October 30, 2017. This is a vital process ensuring our leadership reflects the diversity of voices, values, and interests of the AIR network. Read on for qualifications! Afterward, you may find the nomination form here.
Friday, November 17, 2017 is our annual all-members meeting. This is an opportunity for you to meet your current staff and Board members. You’ll hear from CEO Sue Schardt, COO Ryan Somerfield, Board President Neenah Ellis and the rest of our Board of Directors. You’ll also hear about our upcoming elections, details from our latest programs—and you’ll have a chance to ask questions.
About the Board:
Do you want to be part of something special and innovative? Today’s Board comprises creatives representing our extraordinary network, including: Entrepreneurial podcasters, marketers, indie media changemakers, and station newsroom innovators; esteemed public radio station leaders, news directors, and journalists; educators and producers working abroad.
Interested in nominating yourself or another AIRster?
The priority of the Board and election committee is to assemble a ballot of the most promising AIRsters who can help AIR meet the challenges of our ever-changing landscape. We’ve experienced a seismic shift in the nature and size of our network over the last two years, with an influx of new producers, an expansion of expertise, and the lines between for-profit and non-profit opportunity dissolving. We’re looking for forward thinkers who want to play a role in work advocating for AIR and our producers each and every day:
- Station-based producers—inside collaborators who understand the importance of working in partnership with indies.
- Folks who get why freelancers are so vital to the public media landscape and want to help build bridges between the two.
- Leaders who come from diverse communities and geographic locations.
- Those who actively want to serve. A board term is for three years minimum and you can serve three terms.
- AIR members who have been part of the network for at least one year and have some knowledge of non-profit governance.
AIR bylaws require a balance of Board members with individual and organizational memberships. This year’s election is open to nominees who hold either. Your dues must be current.
If you or someone you know in the AIR network fits the bill, please consider making a nomination. If you want to nominate someone to run, get their permission first. They’ll have some work to do. And, yes, members are allowed to self-nominate!
If you have any questions about membership status, please contact AIR’s Community Liaison, An Uong, at email@example.com. For election information, please get in touch with me, Tena Rubio, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AIR Bylaws—Information about the term, as well as the roles and responsibilities of
***Nominations will be accepted until 5:00pm PT, Monday, November 20th***
How to nominate:
NOMINATION FORM—nominate yourself or another AIR member. Remember to get their permission first.
- Former AIR Board member, Claire Schoen, an indie audio-maker extraordinaire and producer of the new podcast, Stepping Up, will be joining the committee this go-round.
- Audio “magician” Danny Bringer, who comes to us from KQED Public Radio, On The House with the Carey Brothers and the Michael J Fox Foundation Parkinson’s Research podcast.
PLEASE NOTE: AIR’s 2017 Annual Network Meeting is Friday, November 17th, 2017 from 11am-12:30pm PT | 1pm-2:30pm CT | 2pm-3:30pm ET
If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to contact me at anytime.
Tena Isabel Rubio, Secretary & Election Chair, AIR Board | email@example.com