Thursday August 31, 2006
The Association of Independents in Radio
Meeting of the Board of Directors
Thursday August 31, 2006
Present: Barry Rueger, Sid Selvidge, Karen Lewellen, Matthew D. Payne, David Freedman
Regrets: Geo Beach, Maureen Jackson, Joan Rabinowitz, Amy Coombs, Sue Schardt, Jake Shapiro, Dolores Brandon,
Meeting Commenced at 1:00 EST without quorum. These notes are informational only.
1) PRPD Planning
Matt, Dolores, David and Sid have things well in hand for PRPD, with printed materials, stickers, and AIRspaces to distribute. We will also host an AIR event for members. Coordination for this event is complete after twenty minutes of discussion. It is noted that planning started later than preferred.
2) Election planning
a) We hope that a smaller. More compact Virtual Annual meeting will prove more manageable and pleasant.
b) Materials will be posted on-line ASAP. Dolores to provide ED Statement and 990, Barry has all else. Chat will be wide open.
c) Do we do voting only by e-ballots. Barry will query
d) Discussion Boards - add pictures as well as statements.
e) Chat was tested by the participants, and will stay open for testing for the next couple of days.
3) Catching Up
David feels that he needs some catching up on where AIR is at. Our future, or prospects etc. What are our plans for the year to come. What are the burning issues in the upcoming elections? How are we transitioning for Dolores' retirement?
- There seem to be no burning issues for this election. Things are generally running pretty well.
- AIR still lacks infrastructure to do more things that our members would like. Perhaps we need a partner that can provide some resources or facilities that we lack.
- Funding will be a primary focus for the next year, and identifying new income, including earned income.
- Dolores' departure is still several months off, and we will start planning for that when the new Board is in place.
- One of Dolores' immediate priorities is to streamline our operations and reduce expenses where possible.
- We do have good relationships with most other organizations in the sector, and we can work at building those relationships. A priority for next year should be to sit down with players like PRX and Third Coast for more focussed discussions.
2. Member Drive
It would be good if the Board members played an active role in soliciting new members. Has been slow to start, but that is blamed on the month of August.
3. Other Business
Sid - Media Reform Conference Memphis January (?) cheap accommodations will be available, great speakers, AIR should have a presence. Should announce in January AIRspace
4. Meeting Adjourned 1:45 PM
The next meeting of the AIR Board is scheduled for September 12th before the AGM. Day and time TBD